Steamed Glutinous Pumpkin Dumplings
Steamed Dumpling or Bangkuang kuih. A famous Chinese Hakka Soon kuih, is one of my family favorite kuih !!!
Chinese Dumplings or steamed kuih is a Southeast Asian Chinese people typical morning and afternoon snack.
This snack is very popular among the Teochew and Hakka – a simple, steamed Jicama dumplings.
However, some of them are not vegan. Most of the dumpling stuffed with dried shrimps(dried prawns).
And I have to make little adjustment in my reciepe to suit vegan friends and made a healthy vision of dumpling by added pumpkin pureen and coconut oil in pastry skin.
Making steamed dumplings time-consuming and is a lot work for preparing, but it’s always so rewarding. Kneading steaming hot dough is not quite as fun with family members as you can imagine
They are 2 type soon kuih ~wheat starch and glutinous rice ,
This is a very Glutinous dumpling i made with added Â pumpkin puree.
Steamed Vegan Pumpkin Dumplings Ingredients:-
Glutinous Pumpkin Dough Skin
150 gm Pumpkin pureen
250 gm GlutinousRice Flour
60 gm Wheat Starch
100 ml Warm water
2 tbsp Organic Pure Coconut Oil
For Fillings :-
50 gm Bamboo shoot- shredded
300 gm Jicama-peel and julienned
100 gm Cabbage- shredded
50 gm shredded Carrot
50 gm Black fungus-soak and cut into small pieces
3-4 pieces Shiitake mushroom soak and cut into small pieces
1 tsp fresh minced ginger
Parsley or Spring onion
1 tsp Murshroom / Veggie sesaoning
1 tsp Natural Sea Salt to your taste
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp Organic light Soy Sauce
3 tbsp Sesame seeds oil-for brushing
18-20 pieces water apple leaves or banana leaves
1. Heat the wok with oil add minced ginger fry until frangrat add mushroom, and all the ingredients filling and seasoning, pls do not add any water,cooked about 10 minutes, set aside.
2. For making the soon kuih pastry skin. Prepare the pumpkin pureen, water in a pot ,then stir in the dry flour. Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon or chopstick, add in coconut oil mix well, till the mixture become thickens.
3. Allow the flour mixture to cool before removing it from the pot. Knead the dough with some tapiocal flour. The texture should be smooth and not lumpy or sticky.
4. To make Kuih skin. Rolling pin is needed in order to make a nice shape of kuih. Flatten the ball into thin sheets.
5. Place a heaped tablespoon of filling in the center of each piece of flattened dough. Repeat for all fillings. Then, press the edges together to seal, you can made your own twist patterns along the edges just like making dumpling.
6. Prepare a steamer with boiling water , lined kuih on each water apple leaves.
7. Steam for 10 minutes. Ensure you brush sesame oil on all kuih prior to steaming prevent sticking to each other. Remove vegan Kuih from the tray.
8. Serve hot with sambal tumis belacan chili sauce or with sweet black soysauce with adding few drops of black vinegar.
9. PS* You can also pan fry the soon kuih*
Browned or steamed soon kuih is all delicious -yum !!
Copyright 2014 Veganlogy