These Pau (Buns) are steam-cooked in water not deep fried, in fact only tiny little bit of oil is used. They are basically the buns with raw veggie pan fried with little water. Try Homemade Vegan Pan fried Steamed Pau!!!
Ingredients for the pau dough
500 gm Organic High protein flour
500 gm Organic all purpose flour or Hong Kong flour is a special flour for making Pau
450 -460 gm pure filter water
11 gm Instant yeast
180 gm coconut sugar
2 tbsp Nuttelex or 3 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp natural sea salt
1.Sieve the flour set aside.
2.Place yeast with 1/2 cup warm water rest for 10 minutes.Bubbles will appear stir well.
3. Place flour,sugar,sea salt, nuttelex, yeast, pour in the water in electric mixer or by hand. Mix the bread dough till you get a soft dough. Leave aside to rise till double in size,cover and rest for about 1 hour.
Pau Filling :
500 gm cabbage-cut into small dice
200 gm jicama-shredded
150 gm carrot-shredded
25 gm dried mushroom-soaked-cut into small dice
25 gm black fungus-soaked-cut into fine strips
80 gm grass noodles-soaked and cut into 1 1/2 inci
70 gm vegan mutton finely chopped
some Thai basil-cut into strips
some coriander -cut into small dice
some chinese parsley-cut into small pieces
3 tbsp toasted white sesame seeds
Sauces A :
2 tbsp vegan mushroom sauces
1 tbsp tamari
1 tsp sea salt to your taste
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 tbsp grated ginger
2 tbsp oil
1/4 cup filter water
1. Heat the wok with fry the grated ginger until fragrant add chopped mushroom, black fungus. Sauces A, then add 1/2 cup water to steam for 5 minutes, pour in jicama fried for another 5 minutes.
2.Turns off the stove fire.
3. And pour all in the chopped mutton, cabbage, carrot, coriander, parsley, basil,toasted white sesame fry and mixed well.
4.Sift out the veggie filling and set aside.
3 inci Young ginger chopped into small piece
3 tbsp Black vinegar
1 tbsp Tamari
1 tbsp Sesame oil.
How to the Pan fried Steamed Pau:
1.When the dough has risen, tip it onto a flour dusted working area. Give it a quick knead, leave for 2 – 3 minutes to rest. Then roll it out to a rod shape about 3 cm thick and cut equally divide the dough into 50 gm each.
2.Roll each piece into a ball with hand dusted with flour.
3.With hand dusted with flour, stretch each ball like in the slide show till you get a disc around about 6 -7 cm, fill it will a lump of veggie filling.
4. Gather the edge together, pinch and seal it. Flatten the bun with fingers. Coat the sealed end side, then place the floured side onto a tray. Leave to rise for about 5-10 minutes.
5. Take a non stick pan- here i use the cornell multi use electric cooker, brush with 1 tsp of oil, heat till medium hot, pick up the pau carefully with a spatula and place them on the non stick frying cooker pan.
6.Pan fry the pau at medium heat for a minute or two or till the underside is golden brown. Pour in 1/2 cup of filter water, cover the lid, let it steam and fry for about 3 – 4 minutes, flip the pau over,once all the water has gone and the underside is golden, flip them over again, turns of the heat.
7. Ready to eat while hot on its own or dipped with ginger black vinegar sauce or
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 Veganlogy