This is a very Famous Chinese Steamed Golden Pumpkin Kuih in Malaysia Chinese named it , “金瓜糕”.
Chinese will serve this Golden pumpkin kuih and steamed yam Kuih during CNY or celebration party and considering the nice golden pumpkin color in the kuih, it looks auspicious. 🙂
This also a gluten free pumpkin steamed kuih. It’s steamed and tastes sweet of the pumpkin and a bit salty kuih. This makes a delicious breakfast, afternoon snack or even lunch.
Since the steamed pumpkin kuih contained more water, the resulted pumpkin kuih is moist and soft unlike the steamed Yam kuih even though the methods are the same.You can also pan fried with a little oil until golden brown on both sides before serving.
Pls visit ～Steamed Yam kuih～ This Golden Pumpkin kuih method is almost the same as steamed Yam kuih.
Pumpkin and Yam kuih meaning – prosperity, wealth ,abundance, descendant’s luck, illustrious children, enchantment. Pumpkin (金瓜)symbolic meaning GOLD
Another Best Gold symbolish dish Fried Hakka Vegan Yam Abacus Beads for CNY.
Ingredients for Steamed Gluten free Chinese Pumpkin Kuih –
400 gm Pumpkin-shredded or cut into small cute
350 gm Rice flour
60 gm Dried Shiitake mushroom-soak and dice
2 tbsp Dried Salted Radish
900 ml Pure filter water
1/2 tsp Natural Sea Salt
1 tsp Chinese Five spice powder – 五香粉
1 tsp white Pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
2 tbsp Sesame Oil
1 tsp Veggie/Mushroom seasoning
2 stalks coriander leaves
Roasted White sesame and chopped Peanuts
1. Mix Rice flour, five spice powder, cinnamon powder with 900 ml water, stir well, set aside.
Pls refer the method of yam kuih.
2. Heat 2 tbs sesame oil in work, stir fry the salted radish, diced mushroom until fragrant.
3. Pour in all the rice flour mixture into wok, then add in shredded pumpkin and keep on stirring.
4. Stir until the mixture become thick batter. Remove from the heat.
5. Pour the batter into the greased steaming tray. Steam batter over high boiling water for 40 mins or till cooked. Open the lid and steam for another 10 minutes until the top surface water all dry up.
6. Whilst still hot drizzle sesame oil, sprinkle roasted sesame seeds, peanuts, coriander leaves on top.
7. The steam pumpkin cake will turn firm up as it cool down, so don’t discourage if is still soft.
The resulted pumpkin steamed kuih is moist and soft unlike the steamed Yam kuih even though the methods are the same.
8. Leave it for 4 -5 hours until it is totally cool down. Serve with chilli sauce if you prefer hot and spicy sambal Tumis belacan or sweet soy sauce.
May all have a delicious, prosperous and be healthy, happy & peaceful.
Wishing All HApPy Chinese New Year and
金银满屋 Jin Yin Man Wu meaning Household filled with gold and silver～
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 Veganlogy