Pandan Snow White Vegan Mooncake with Yam, Red Bean, and Lotus Paste
Usually we called this type of mooncake as Snow Skin mooncake (冰皮月饼), which no need to bake, and served chilled. Famous by its skin type, normally snow white. Nowadays, we can see green, purple, red, yellow, and other shiny colours.
This is a moderate level recipe. Worth to try!
Tomorrow I will share with you another healthy and tasty mooncake recipe. Black Sesame Snow Skin Vegan Mooncake!
Mid-Autumn Special: Pandan Snow White Mooncake Recipe
By September 24, 2012Published:
- Yield: 8-10 (8 Servings)
- Prep: 1 hr 20 mins
Usually we called this type of mooncake as Snow Skin mooncake (冰皮月饼), which oil free, no need to bake, and served chilled. Famous by its skin type, normally snow white. Nowadays, we can see green, purple, red, yellow, and other shiny colours.
- 180 gm Koh Fun-Hong Kong cooked glutinous rice flour
- 100 gm Icing sugar
- 60 gm Special Vegetable Shortening
- 280 ml Pure filter water together with pandan juice extract or you can add any fruits juice for flavour and also a natural fruits colouring for snow white skin.
- 10 pieces Pandan to make pandan juice extract
- 150 gm Yam sliced
- 150 gm purple sweet potatoes
- Filling for 1 Mooncake:
- 90 gm Mixed Yam, Red Beans, Lotus Paste Roll into a ball
- 50 gm Pandan Dough
- Cut the yam in slices and steam together with sweet potatoes for 20 minutes until cooked.
- Mash the yam, add 1 tbsp vegan butter when is still hot.
Preheat pan and fry for few minutes until all mixed well with the vegan butter.(you can add 1-2 tbsp sugar for sweetness).
I didn't add sugar in yam because the snow skin, lotus and red beans paste are sweet enough.
- Mash the sweet potatoes.
*No sugar added*
- Divide into: yam with red beans; lotus with yam; or sweet potatoes with red beans.
Assorted fillings, pre-rolled into compact balls!
Divide into 8 portion of 90 gm for each ball.
Try different flavour of your paste .
Be creative, make your own creation.
- Mix the pandan juice extract and water.OR you can mix with fruits juice together.
- Sift kao fen and icing sugar twice, add vegetable shortening together.
- Add in liquid mixture or any fruits juice into the flour mixture and mix to form soft dough.
Do not overmix!
(You may need more or less liquid depend on the quality of the flour. Dough will look rough but soft in texture.)
- Rub in shortening into the flour mixture until it resemble bread crumb.
- Cover the dough and rest in the fridge for 10-15mins.
- Divide dough into 8 portions of 50g m each.(depending on mould size) Dust the surface, rolling pin and mould lightly with flour.
- Roll out the dough, leave the centre slightly thicker than the edge.
- Wrap the dough with the yam/lotus paste ball and seal the edges.
Press into the mould and piston it out slowly.
- Chill in refrigerator in an air-tight container few hours before serving. It is best to served chilled.
- You can try different fruits flavour of snow white skin .
Try to use all natural fruits, flowers for coloring.
- Kind reminder: Weight of the skin and filling depend on the size of your mould.
- Veganlogy wish all enjoy your Happy Mid-Autumn Festival with your family and your love one ♥ ♥ ♥