ULAM RAJA – The King’s Salad
Ulam raja, literally meaning “the King’s salad“. Ulam, is actually a Malay word used to describe a preparation that combines food, medicine and beauty is the widely popular Malay herbal salad. And Raja means King. So, as most of people will translate ULAM RAJA directly to “the King’s salad”!
As a Malaysian delight, it is served throughout the country from major hotels for tourists to buffet lunches or dinners for the locals. When I traveled to Indonesia, I also found that Ulam Raja also in their menu!
Botanically, Ulam Raja is known as Cosmos Caudatus. It produces dainty, attractive pink flowers when mature. (see photos below) Although Ulam Raja is always served as raw veggie, but sometimes also cooked and mixed with coconut sauce and chillies. In Malaysia, Malay is one of the ethnic who love to eat raw veggie salad, they called this ULAM.
Ulam Raja is considered as herbal plant
Do you know that Ulam Raja is very good for health?
Researches found that it has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial effects, because it is famous with its outstanding antioxidant benefit. Malay people believe that this herb is good for health and contains anti-aging properties and remain youthful and improve your skin complexion and also tones up our blood circulation, strengthens our muscles and bones and promotes fresh breath.
Ulam raja is a very good source of natural antioxidants and rich in minerals such as calcium, phosphorous, iron, magnesium and potassium. It also has a relatively high vitamin content (especially vitamins B1, B2 and C).
This plant is actually easy to grow! Plants self seed easily and can quickly become a weed in my garden.
Ulam Raja & Goji Berries Raw Salad
By July 7, 2012Published:
- Yield: 1 plate (1-2 Servings)
- Prep: 10 mins
Ulam Raja Raw, Natural and healthy Herbal Salad
- 1 pcs Pear cored and sliced into slim wedges
- 2 leaves Organic Purple Radicchio shredded
- 1 bunch Ulam Raja also known as King Salad - Cosmos Caudatus
- some Raw Wild Ginseng and Flower also known as Talium Paniculatum
- some Ulam Raja Flowers
- 1 tablespoon Cranberries add more, if you like berries
- 1 tablespoon Goji Berries
- 1/3 pcs Organic Cucumber sliced
- 3 pcs Organic Cherry Tomatoes
- Chili Dressing:-
- 1/3 teaspoon Chilli Powder Add more, if you like spicy
- 1 Tablespoon Nutritional yeast
- 1/2 pcs Lemon Squeezed into juice
- 1/2 teaspoon french Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Extract Grape Seed Oil
- A pinch Natural Sea Salt
- Wash all the veggies and flowers.
- Prepare a salad bowl decorate the pear and all veggie ingredients above
- Toss all well with Chili dressing.
That's it, healthy raw salad!
Have you try Persimmon Fruit and Ulam Raja RAW SALAD?