Ginkgo Nuts are very popular ingredients for Chinese cooking, whether it be added into congee or dessert.White fungus contain much iron,Vit C,calcium,phosphorus and the fat and gum like protein in it is especially nourishing to the body.
Ingredients: 20 gm Snow fungus – tremellaÂ (soak for 2 hours in pure Water)
500 gm Sweet Potatoes (wash peel cut into chuck )
1/2 cup Ginkgo Nuts
20 gm Dried Longan
10-15 Pitted Red Dates
2 Slice Ginger
120 gm Rock sugar ( according to your taste)
1.8 liter Water
4 Pandan leaves-knotted
1. Soak snow fungus ,discard the hard part and use scissors to cut into small pieces.
2. Use a nutcracker to crack the outer thin beige shell. Inside, the nuts are covered by a brown skin
3. To loosen the skin, you can put the nuts in a pot of hot water over a low heat for a few minutes. Leave the nuts in the water and then gently peel the skin with a slotted spoon.
4. Bring water to boil in a pot add in pandan leaves, gingko nuts,red dates,ginger cook over simmeringÂ water for 25 minutes .Partially cover it with lid.
5. Then add sweet potato, dried longan , snow fungus, rock sugar, cook for 10 -15 minutes until the sweet potatoes are soft turn off the fire. It can be served hot or chilled.
You can also try this sugar free dessert : sugar-free-lotus-seeds-dessert
Copyright 2011 Veganlogy