TheÂ “lei cha” â€œæ“‚èŒ¶â€riceÂ is a traditional hakka-chinese dialect group cuisine, back in the olden days, the common villagers and even soldiers in china consideredÂ “lei cha” riceÂ as a rich source of nutrients and a medicinal food to fight against illnesses. it’s made with very simple, affordable, down-to-earth ingredients that are nutritious and generally good for our Â diet. For preparation leicha is not too complicated but involves a labour-intensive process of physically pounding and grinding the various ingredients into a fine texture with a thick guava thick wooden stick and a special deep leicha bowl ;Â that’s why it’s calledÂ â€œæ“‚èŒ¶â€Â – â€œæ“‚â€ meaning “to pound or finely grind”but now day people grind leicha ingredients all in food processorÂ .
“Leicha” riceÂ has become more widely found and popular in Malaysia and Â Singapore ! The reason is you either love it or hate it. i have to admit it’s quite an acquired taste.The most my family love is more mint leaves in theÂ “lei cha”Â tea stock ,having a minty taste in my rice yum ~
I always use my simple version of herb that i can easily get in my garden.
This is very healthy nutritions and delicious with many natural herbs .
- 2 cup Rice or Brown Rice
- salt to taste
Ingredients B (soup)
- 4 Tbsp Peanuts (skinned and toasted)
- 4 Tbsp White sesame seeds (toasted)
- A bunch of Mint leaves( from my garden) know as Pudina in India-
- A bunch of Sweet basil leavesÂ (ocimum basilicum LÂ from my garden)
- some coriander Â leaves-ä¹å±‚å¡”
- 3 pcs of the bitter Jiapi(from my garden)Â è‹¦ç²’å¿ƒå¶
- Some Artemisia vulgaris(mugwort) leaves (from my garden)It is believed that mugwort can cure hundreds of sickness.-è‰¾å¶è‰
- Some Eryngium foetidium L.-åˆºèŠ¹èŠ«è½Å‚
- Little bit of green tea leaves and black pepper,salt to taste.
Ingredients C (assorted vegetable)
- Cabbage(diced) 300 grams
- Sweet potato leaves (diced) – 300 grams
- Long beans (diced) – 300 grams
- Chives flowers (diced) – 300 grams
- Chinese celery (diced) – 300 grams
- Fried organic tofu (diced)-4 pieces
- Pickled radish (chai poh)100 grams
- 1/2 bowl toasted Cashew or Peanuts
- You can use as many different type of veggie Â you love
- You can try eat Raw ….dice all raw organic veggie (mm..I think i will try Raw leicha next time)
- Lei-cha soup – Use a special earthen-ware and grind the ingredients(B)Â with a special guava stick.
- Add litter water while grinding to smoothen the paste.
- OR the Alternate way is to put all ingredients(B) with little bit of water into a foodÂ processor and blend into paste. Add boiling hot water when serve.
- Assorted vegetable – Heat oil, Stir fry assorted vegetables separately with a bit of saltÂ until fragrantÂ aromatic and cooked.
- Heat oil and fry tofu till light brown and dish out.
- Place Brown rice, assorted vegetables, tofu, pickled radish, peanuts into a big deep bowl.
- Pour in hot leicha soup and serve.
- You may also serve puffed rice, rice and soup separately if desired.